Friday, March 13, 2009

THE STAMP

I am a doctor, for Pete's sake, and I am used to being the one doing the comforting, officiating news kindly, be it good or bad news.
Today, I was the comforted, vulnerable, listening one.
She, the doctor, crafted just enough well spoken accented words to to explain, "all's well". The liver, kidney tests are fine. I have antibodies to measles, hepatitis A&B ( good), HIV negative (good), blood type AB positive........
What caused me to flinch was THE STAMP.
The kind of stamp you pneumatically press down on the paper, and leave a seal, official, firm.

The Date, vendredi 13 Mars 2009
The Place, Institute Pasteur
The Result, THE TRUTH.

I was taken aback by this gentle doctor, she seemed not that different from my usual doctor-demeanor, kind, comforting, but when she pressed THE STAMP, it was with force, quick, clean, final, like a sword. A master at her craft, practiced. She had me in a trance, infact I didn't feel a thing. The stamp was of course not on my body, it was on the paper I now carry with me, but the stamp was as powerful as any vaccination I have ever received.
"You Are Well, You Are Protected" said The Stamp.

Her handshake, (unlike my "goodbye" to patients which is often a hug), was not like The Stamp. It was as I expected soft, kind, officious. A signature of The Visit, a confirmation of The Truth.

But the "thunk" of THE STAMP still vibrated in my soul.

Her parting words were, " wear a mask".
She did not say motheringly "don't forget to wear a mask" or "remember, wear your mask to protect yourself", she simply, quietly, clearly said " wear a mask".

And then she said, "have a good mission".

I will be, I am already, a better doctor, of that I am sure.

AND, tomorrow morning I leave the Paris hotel that has been home these past 8 days at 5am to depart on an early flight to Tbilisi, Georgia.

STAMPED papers in hand, ready for what lies ahead.

Au revoir
Dr. Genie

2 comments:

  1. Hey...Mom and I are so glad you are "Stamped" and ready for your journey....We will be anxious to hear more...I set up Mom's computer for easy access for her to read blogs and post them....
    Safe journey and ....SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, AND MORE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS....
    Luv ya lots.....p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you - I miss you. How was Paris for 8 days with 2 pair of pants and 2 shirts? Ha! Shopping??? Do love you. Take care. Mom

    ReplyDelete