Sunday, March 8, 2009

Shower

Not the weather, the one in the toilette.

The weather is more like the parisean "cloud-hands" wringing every last little eensy-beensy drop out of themselves. Drippy, writhing. Who cares

Showers in europe have hand held shower heads, with floppy tubing. I have one in our european-like shower at home. The curiosity is that in my little hotel bathroom the thingy on the wall to hold the handheld shower head is not RIGHT. I am sure it is upside down, or else houdini is the only one capable of figuring out how to get the showerhead to stay in a position where the water is pointed DOWN instead of UP.
So, I have figured out how to make this work for me. While sudsing up and shampooing, I put the showerhead and flimsy tubing between my legs. ( I guess I could turn off the shower while doing so, and then turn it back on when rinsing, but that wouldn' be any fun, given what I have discovered).
I now understand the goofiness and the burden of having a droopy thing between ones legs.
I am so glad to be a girl most of the time. But these brief moments in the shower of being a "sort-of boy" are really quite enjoyable.

For you gals, I highly recommend you try this, if you havn't already! Noone will ever know!

The Pequod

Yesterday, 10 hours of wonderful pavement pounding from Bastille to the Arc dè Triomphe and back to Bastille, with lots and lots of diversions to gallariès.
One picture in a small gallery took my breath away. I sat and caught my breath for 30 minutes while gazing. It was abstract, but clear as could be to me there was a ship, the Pequod, and next to it a whale, THE WHALE. Having just finished Ahab's Wife, or the Star Gazer by Sena J Naslund, a remarkable novel, a must-read, I am filled with oceans and whaler ships, love and loss, wisdom and pure delight.
And there in front of me was a large, exquisite painting , the embodiment of the novel, in one piece of art.
I am still enjoying the "banquet of beauty".

4 comments:

  1. I laughed with great delight at your discovery and trial run at floppy things! Deidre and I have decided that in our next life we are returning as Sea Otters. All the seafood you can eat, swimming in the water all day and recreational sex. My triglyceride level would be in great shape!
    I haven't taken Deidre to Paris...yet. I envy your adventures and the energy you are breathing. Your 8 days will pass quickly and will create a culture shock very soon. Lots of continued lessons, but culture shock none the less. Enjoy! B and D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely new posts! recovering Baptist that i am, i can rarely think of a whale in any context without also remembering "in the belly of the whale." i am glad you are enjoying the banquet of beauty, kudos for spending the per diem on music! and, i hope that if your future brings you into the belly of the whale, you'll hang onto your flippers and just go for the ride. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, ya, cousine,

    If you've got a slew of these in your inbox, please excuse. I've never commented on someone's blog before, and it's trial by fire.

    I must compliment you on your exceptional writing. You've clearly learned much beside medicine, and your world view seems congruous and familiar. The "banquet of beauty" is there for our enjoyment; sadly, many never realize this.

    Just so you know, I remember fondly the time I visited you in Cherry Hills, some 15 years back. I was still feeling a bit end-over-end, having just gone through a hurtful divorce. You and your family made me feel like a long-lost yet long-loved friend. Thanks.

    Do you read any Barbara Kingsolver?

    Ena and I will enjoy following your travels, and will send many good thoughts.

    With love and much admiration,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genie,
    I am enjoying keeping up with your adventures, brought to life by your wonderful skill with words.
    Glad you liked Ahab's Wife as much as I did! When you get back home I will send you People of the Book, another wonderful novel set (partly) in Bosnia.
    Be safe.
    Love,
    Dell

    ReplyDelete