Saturday, March 21, 2009

GRUD

You know how as kids we mixed crayons together to make new colors, and would make up new names, like rellow(red and yellow)? So it is with nature.
Colorodans know the color of of aspen trees and snow, the frosty color, seen from a distance while skiing. Beautiful. The frosty gray is a different color here. The ash and chestnut tees are dark, and the frost looks very different, more amber, lovely.
There are other colors, ones I've never seen before, even while mixing crayons. Abkhaz colors. The one most disturbing I call GRUD. It is gray and mud. I could call it MEY ( mud and gray), but that sounds much too pleasant. Grud makes me sad and mad. It is made of despair and blood. Grud is an unnecessary color. No one needs grud in their town, or in their lives.

Grud smells. The stench is frightening. It is beyond squalor, beyond revolting, repugnant.
I am a geriatrician, no stranger to bad smells, they come with the territory. No baby fresh fragrances on my exam table or in the nursing homes.
Today my experience of color went beyond grud. Gray, mud, anger, despair, blood were only the top layer. No utterances are sufficient to translate the experience, the reality of this 'living being' in the same universe as you and me.
There was not a reason to ask how? Why? How long? Just advance to the bed of this barely living being, then greet, pray, work. Depart. Find my sanctuary, my little room, and sob.
I will be returning next week, and the week after, until this being no longer breathes grud any more.
God help us all, pity us all.

3 comments:

  1. As always, I am touched by your compassion. But the challenge to your doctoring that these patients present will be a wholly different experience. One I am sure you will grow from. They are fortunate to have you care for them, if there is little other fortune left in their lives.

    Blessings to you dear. Ballard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough day. I imagine the person to whom you brought your gentle touch and healing knowledge sensed God had sent them an angel today. I'm sure there will be days to come which include fun and laughter, but I'm guessing this will be remembered as one of your most valuable days. Bless you Genie for what you are doing and giving to those unfortunate persons who now are fortunate to have received your care. Henry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember to smile. Gentle smiles and gentle touches. I think those things have brought such peace to those I have had an opportunity to provide nursing care to. Those who have only known suffering and pain. Whether their suffering had just begun or they had been suffering for a lifetime. Miracles may happen, but... I hope you can find peace in knowing you are hope for them, even if for only a minute.
    I am sending out prayers for your safety and for you to have strength to continue your journey of comforting the suffering.
    Love you,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete