Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I Don't Like Mice or Rats

Enough said. I doubt you do either. The problem is they seem to like our house. The Nepalese prayer flags on the terrace seem to be excellent bedding material for the mice. The kitchen toaster is an excellent hide-out.
Several weeks ago, while in the kitchen, I saw a mouse scamper out of the toaster. YUCK. I saw little turds and figured desperate measures were needed. I scrubbed the toaster three times with various cleansers and other likely toxic substances found under the sink. THEN I put a towel over the top of the toaster to thwart the mouses efforts to enter. I am smarter than a mouse, RIGHT?

Yesterday morning I came to the kitchen to prepare a cup of tea and a piece of toast. I took the towel off of the toaster, sliced the bread, put two slices in the toaster, and pushed the switch. OUCH! The little mouse must have felt a warm-turning-to-very-hot sensation on his little tootsies, because he bolted out of the toaster lightening speed!!! The toast didn't care, it kept toasting away as if nothing had happened. YUCK.
Another round of cleanings and this time I now stuff two towels WAY down into the toaster so there is no room for the mouse to hang out. I AM SMARTER THAN THE MOUSE. I just know I am.

So far so good, no mouses crawling out of the toaster in the morning, no turds in the bottom of the toaster. I will let you know, if I am forced to come up with yet another manage-the-mouse plan.


1 comment:

  1. reminds me of one of the houses where David and I lived in Minneapolis. An entire family of mice lived in the upstairs and migrated down into our kitchen during the cold parts of the year. One morning I woke up to Melissa screaming, wildly, in the kitchen. She had left a loaf of bread on the table, and when she went to open it she discovered that there was mouse tunnel eaten right through the center of the loaf, and wheat sogged, dead mouse at the bottom of the bag.

    I'm sorry you're having to deal with mice, it's not fun!

    ReplyDelete