Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Back in the Saddle

I had a refreshing, utterly enjoyable holiday.
In one word - CLEAN.
The “culture shock” was not the ease of transportation in Vienna, the pristine beauty of the alps, the delicacy of the food, the luxury of thermal baths in the Austrian countryside, the daily naps in the park, the sweetness of being in Ballard's company ....it was the shock of cleanliness.
Like a chameleon I adapted to the sparkling clean environment with no effort. I felt myself aware of the tiniest little speck of dirt on my arms, the faint odor that was "different", the room temperature "not quite right". These awareness’s were not bothersome, they were simply in my consciousness.

Before returning to Abkhazia I am working in Tbilisi for a few days (with luxuries such as predictable electricity, internet, quiet office, market with all kinds of recognizable items). It will help the transition back to the REAL world in which I live; fungus on the floor, nasty smells, loud voices, strange sights, sad sights, compromises, frustrations, questions with no good answers.... set amidst a landscape as majestic and grand as Austria... . what I know is I will soon be back living with another consciousness.

I am happy.
I love being clean, I love being not so clean.
I love luxury, I love not so luxurious.
I like good food......wherever it is.......
I like living and working with good, talented people……

News:
Last week Russia vetoed a resolution that would allow the UN to remain in Abkhazia. That means the UN will close its peacekeeping mission in Abkhazia. That means the opportunity for an emergency evacuation using UN helicopters will vanish for MSF expats in Abkhazia in a few weeks. It means a loss of hundreds of jobs for Abkhazians who work for the UN and loss of thousands of rubbles of revenue to the vendors who supply expats with food, services, housing...etc. This is unfortunate, but Abkhazia will have to adapt to this new reality.

The US has big crises with bank closures, billionaire crooks, healthcare inequity, Toll House cookie dough being recalled. Abkhazia has big crises also. We will all make it through these crises and will likely have a new set of crises right around the corner. So be it.
Will talk to you soon,
genie

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time in Vienna. It's kind of hard not to enjoy that city. I know it must be hard to return to what is currently your "real" life, but I also know that you have the strength and commitment to come back to this work and give it your all. I'm thinking about you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make our individual problems seem trivial.

    Stay well

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a little break, we miss ya and can't wait to see you. Love ya,
    Missy and Granny

    ReplyDelete